Jewelry Style Guide Part II
Remember the wavy mirrors at the carnival? The mirrors where you looked really tall and beanpole thin, or worse yet, super short and just as wide? Yeah, nobody wants to go there, but optical illusions can trick the eye in your favor too. Earrings, for example, can make your face appear wider, thinner, or longer depending on how they flatter your face shape.
Round Face: If your face is circular, meaning widest at the cheekbones with little taper to the chin, then you have a round face.
- Long drop or dangle earrings will elongate your face and make it look slimmer. Geometric shapes will work better for you as well.
Long and Narrow Face: If you have a long, thin face choose earrings that give the illusion your face is wider. An earring with round shapes or other elements that are wider to emphasize the width of your face.
- Studs, clustered earrings, short dangles, hoops in a medium to large size.
The long dangles that will work well on a round face will only accentuate the length of your face.
Square Face: Gals with wide square jaws ( forehead and jawline are similar widths) need to soften the hard edges of their faces. To do this choose to go for earrings that are medium to long with rounded edges.
- Oval shapes soften things up, and circular earrings and hoop earrings work well too.
- Stay away from square shapes whether studs or dangles.
Heart-Shaped Face: If your forehead is wider than your cheeks and the lower half of your face narrows like a heart then you have a heart-shaped face. In this case, you need to counterbalance your sharp chin with chandelier or teardrop earrings.
- Earrings that are wider at the bottom than the top help fill in the lower portion of your face, so your face is more balanced.
Oval Shaped Face: Lucky you! You can wear almost any shape, but triangular earrings or simple studs will show off your lovely cheekbones best!Finding the best earrings for you can make your face appear wider, thinner, or longer depending on how they flatter your face shape.